The Centre for Eating and Dieting Disorders (CEDD) is funded by the Mental Health and Drug & Alcohol Office, NSW Department of Health.
It is an academic and service support centre based in Sydney, Australia resulting from a collaboration between Sydney Local Health Network and The Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition, Exercise & Eating Disorders in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Sydney
The Centre has a number of key functions:-
- to promote awareness of eating disorders as serious mental illnesses, that require treatment and in many cases can be cured
- to contribute to policy development for the treatment, prevention and cure of eating disorders
- to improve access to services for people in NSW who have an eating disorder, and their carers
- to provide support to clinicians in NSW who have taken on the care of people who have an eating disorder
- to conduct and foster research into the eating disorders, their aetiology, treatment and cure.
- to educate and train the health workforce in evidence based medicines and treatments for people with eating disorders
- to support other organisations working for the betterment of those afflicted by these mental illnesses
- to contribute to the development of prevention and early intervention policy and interventions to reduce the incidence, duration and burden of eating disorders
- to collaborate and cross-fertilises ideas with experts in the fields of obesity, body image and other related disciplines to promote broad specturn Public Health.
NSW is fortunate to have a group of dedicated eating disorder specialists working in both clinical practice and research and a robust consumer support organisation (the Butterfly Foundation). Together this network of individuals and organisations has the capacity to continue to improve the services available to those suffering from an eating disorder, the quality of care they receive, the prognosis and outcomes and to contribute to the scientific literature in this field.
- Professor Stephen Touyz (chair)
- Professor Janice Russell
- Dr Sarah Maguire
- Mr Tony Carroll
STUDENTS please note: Regretfully, CEDD does not have the resources to provide school or university students with information for assignments. A reliable source of information is the Butterfly Foundation website www.thebutterflyfoundation.org.au (and its Links) where you will be able to access pertinent information about the eating disorders. For more formal academic work access the International Journal of Eating Disorders through your library server.